Discover what creates the magic in our work.

Jun 19, 2013

A Chat With The Creative Alchemist

Jun 19, 2013 2:21 PM Posted by Unknown , ,
Today we have the great pleasure to interview one of our inspiring and creative team member, Deborah Sze, Art Director of XiMnet Malaysia. Deb has been with the company for 8 years now and counting. Let’s check out the interview!




When did you got interested about art and design?

Starting from a very young age I spent most of my time drawing on anything I can find at home while my parents are busy at work. Art was also one of my favorite subject in school because I find it easier for me to focus and enjoy doing compared to the rest.

As I grew older I came to realize that the world around us is made more beautiful and interesting because of art and design. Imagine everyone driving the same car model and color today, don’t you think it will be very dull?
What influences your creativity? Is there any artist or designer you like particularly?

Creativity comes in many forms. For me, anything that you are able to create with your own hands or has originality is creativity. I find interest in looking at all sorts of things from photography, handmade craft, painting and etc which inspires and influences me.

Every artist and designer is unique on their own. I have an endless list of names to mention but the key is always to be able appreciate what others have expressed through their piece of work in regardless of what form they are in.



Inspiration: Shintaro Ohata is an artist who depicts little things in everyday life like scenes of a movie and captures all sorts of light in his work with a unique touch.


How would you describe your daily workflow?

I usually start the day off by checking emails to make sure that all schedules and work are in place. Then I will read up some news and browse http://www.thisiscolossal.com/ and http://www.fastcodesign.com/ to keep the creative juice flowing.

The rest of the day are spent in brainstorming session for concept and planning or meetings for production work and also getting down to the hands on work.

In the midst of all these hectic runabouts, I will try to find some time to doodle onto my notebook from random things such as my mug or some out of this world characters.
Out of all projects which you’re involved, which project was the most interesting for you?

I would say it is a Telecommunication project done with our client in Maldives. There are thousands of islands in Maldives and in order for the people to subscribe to a phone line or pay bills, they will have to travel more than 10 hours via boat to get to the capital.

With our products and services offered, they are now able to get most things done online. This is really a life changing project and I enjoyed every moment spent in Maldives being able to see a different culture and lifestyle which is very much an eye opener to me.
What do you like most about your job? And what is the most challenging about it?

I would say what I like most is the ability to create. Creation involves a lot of thinking process, practices, failure and even struggles with one self. I like the idea of being able to challenge myself despite facing with all kinds of stumbling blocks.

The most challenging thing is to be able to find your own voice in the work you do. Many designers especially the young ones go through a period of copying the works of others but unable to represent or express their own conviction and thoughts through their piece of work.

With that said, experience and a lot of practice is needed and you will be comfortable enough to find a style or direction that is truly yours.
Please share with us 3 characteristics necessary for a designer, particularly a web designer.

HUMBLE
It is very important to understand that you are not born gifted. A lot of hard work and perseverance is needed in order for you to find that voice within yourself and express it onto the work you do. Never stop learning.

PASSIONATE
A designer’s job can be very life draining because every day you will have to face up to challenges that connects you emotionally. Only passion is able to fire you up throughout the winded road especially if you are young and not discipline.

VISION
You’ve got to be a visionary to excel as a designer. Take the risk, be daring to dream about the impossible in order to bring out the best in you.

Always keep a watch out on the latest web and mobile trends especially how technology advances to get the best out of it when you produce your work.